1. Get plenty of sleep daily- 7-8 hours.
2. Stay hydrated- drink half your weight in ounces daily of filtered water.
3. Minimize sugar consumption- consuming foods high in sugar will reduce your immune system by up to 75% for as long as 4-6 hours.
4. Manage stress- stress shuts down the immune system. Ways to manage stress-meditation,Tapping, box breathing or try Ashwagandha supplements. Ashwagandha supports the adrenals and relieves stress.
5. Consume immune boosting foods- mushrooms, ginger, garlic, berries, green leafy veggies, lemons, nuts, and fish.
6. Take a few basic supplements- Vitamin C, Vitamin D and probiotics.
- LiveOn Labs Lypo-Spheric Vitamin C- a very potent form and easily absorbed by the body.
- Thorne D3 + K2- the dosage depends on your 25-hydroxy Vitamin D blood test, you want your level to be above 75.
- Eat a variety of fermented foods daily such as kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, apple cider vinegar or take probiotics. I like soil based probiotics by MegaSpore. The gut houses up to 70% of the cells that make up your immune system so you want to keep your gut healthy.
7. Wash your hands well with soap and water- try to keep your hands away from your face and avoid hand sanitizer, they contain harmful ingredients.
8. Thieves oil is a blend of essential oils (clove bud, rosemary, lemon, cinnamon and eucalyptus) that will support the immune system and fight bugs. How to use it- in a diffuser or make an all-purpose spray.
9. Silver gel can be used as a hand sanitizer, great for traveling or when in public places. I like American Biotech Labs ASAP 365 Silver Gel.
10. Make a Healing Tonic with ginger, onion, turmeric, horseradish, hot pepper and apple cider vinegar. I swear this kills just about anything. I take a spoonful or two daily. See below for recipe.
The second you feel symptoms coming on take a product called Oscillococcinum which you can find at Whole Foods or online. This is a homeopathic product that is used for flu like symptoms. It can really works if you catch it early.
The "wet sock" treatment can also be a very effective way to kick start the immune system and decrease congestion. Sounds a bit crazy but it works. All you need is a pair of wool socks, cotton socks and some hot and cold water. This should be done right before bed, socks will be dry by the time you wake up. This link will give you specific instructions-
High dose Vitamin C IV's are packed with immune boosting vitamins and minerals. Most naturopathic doctors offer this treatment.
For very serious infections I recommend high dose ozone IV therapy- kills bacteria, fungi, viruses and infections. I got very sick last winter and this truly save me. Read more about it here- http://www.infusio.com/medical/ten-pass-ozone/
700 ml organic apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 fresh hot peppers or dried chili pepper
1/4 cup gated ginger
2 tbsp. grated horseradish
2 tbsp. turmeric powder or 2 pieces of turmeric root
Mix all ingredient in a bowl except vinegar
Pour mixture into a mason jar
Fill jar with apple cider vinegar to cover mixture
Close jar and shake well
Store jar in a cool, dry and dark place for 2 weeks, shake once daily
After 14 days strain mixture
Store liquid in dark glass bottles
Be careful consuming, this is strong and spicy!
Do not consume on an empty stomach.
Do not dilute with water, this will reduce the effect of the tonic
Drink 1-2 ounces two or more times daily. Take a sip, gargle and swallow.
If you have a serious infection take 1 tbsp. 5-6 times per day.
Safe for pregnant women and children if consumed in small doses.
The amazing health benefits of this healing tonic!
Garlic- is a powerful antibiotic that kills bacteria and microorganisms. It also helps increase levels of good bacteria.
Onion- has a similar but milder action than garlic but together they make a strong fighting duo.
Horseradish- is a powerful herb, helpful for sinuses and lungs, increases circulation.
Ginger- has anti-inflammatory properties, helpful against colds and fevers.
Chili peppers- boosts the immune system.
Turmeric- is anti-inflammatory and cleanses infections.
Apple cider vinegar- is a powerful antioxidant, antibacterial, anti fungal and anti-inflammatory.
Recipe provided by- besthealthyguide.com
Best of luck this flu season!